Thursday, February 17, 2011

Review: 42 Months Dry

I purchased 42 Months Dry after seeing a request from the author for top reviewers to review the book. I am not a top reviewer, but I thought I would review the book anyway. I can only hope that the author will return the favor.

The thing that made it stand out is that it is a retelling of a biblical account of the life of a prophet in a modern setting. I used a similar approach when I wrote the book For the Love of a Devil. Mine was based on Hosea, but in this book Zach Bartels tells the story of Elijah.

42 Months Dry is different than you might expect because Bartels puts a gun and a cigarette in his main character’s hand and the character is known to curse in fits of anger. That may be offputting for some readers. The tone of the story is rather dark and the body count is high, but for people who like that kind of story, I don’t think they will be disappointed.

Bartels is a skilled storyteller and it is obvious that he studied Elijah before writing the story. That is more than can be said for some authors who have attempted to retell a Bible story. If you are looking for a Christian Thriller, you will do well with this book.

No comments :